Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!
Terrible at Blogging
So I really expected to start blogging more once I got MTNWA up and running, but obviously that hasn’t happened. My last post was about the six-month recap. I’ve already passed the year mark, and I’m still loving it.
All of my clients are great! I currently have two groups I regularly see and two individuals, which may not seem like a lot, but I’m happy to have some regularity in my schedule! I’ve had other individual clients over the past year, but due to scheduling conflicts and the clients having other therapies, they’ve been put on hold. This is probably the most difficult part of my job, but I completely understand.
I’m still teaching lessons on the side. Right now I think I have 13 students that I teach piano or guitar to, which I guess makes it my major source of income…ha! My students are a hoot though. I get to teach all different levels and different techniques, which ends up keeping me on my toes with my piano skills.
I’m really looking forward to all the possibilities for MTNWA. I’m still able to present to different groups about the benefits of music therapy. I’ve done a few mock sessions for one of the school districts in the area. I still have people interested in music therapy for their kids. It’s just taking things one day at a time, keeping my name out there, and hoping for the best! I’ve been really lucky and blessed to have people that help me with connections and getting word out there.
Whenever I see a good post about music therapy, I try to put it on my Facebook page or Pinterest. So if you’re looking for great info or ideas, check them out!
That’s about all I have for now! Hopefully the next post will be sooner than 9 months from now!
Hello 2013! (6-Month Review)
I can hardly believe it is already February of 2013! I’m glad to see we all survived the end of the world! 😉
One more thing I can hardly believe: the Cardinal Care Center and office for MTNWA have been open for six months already! It’s crazy to think that I’ve been a business owner for half a year already. Even though it seems like things are moving slowly at times, looking back a lot has been accomplished. Here’s a little summary of all that’s happened at MTNWA since August:
- I am currently working with two nursing home groups and one individual client. Both nursing home groups are so much fun. I’m hoping to be able to see them more than once a month in the future, but we shall see. My individual client is able to come once a week. He is a great person to work with.
- I’ve teamed up with InsideOut Music Studios in Farmington and am teaching piano lessons. I currently have 13 piano students and one guitar student at MTNWA. Needless to say I am making some sweet moolah off all these lessons!
- As far as media/publicity goes, there has been a picture in the local paper about the CCC grand opening and an article about music therapy. There has also been an article in a college newspaper about music therapy and my services. You can check all of them out on the Media page.
- I’ve had the privilege of a few people being able to observe some of my sessions. A student from Farmington schools has job shadowed me, and a MT student from Drury University was able to observe a few of my sessions as a class requirement. I’ve also had a few other students e-mail me about information for class projects and becoming a music therapist.
- January was Music Therapy Advocacy Month. There was a huge push for social media advocacy. I’ve been trying to post as many articles and videos on the MTNWA Facebook page as possible. Stop by and check some of them out…lots of great information and entertaining ways to answer some questions you may have!
- I’ve paid most of my yearly dues for the new year. I’m once again a member of AMTA. I’ve gotten my business license for MTNWA for 2013. I’ve set up insurance on the office.
And now here are some things to look forward to in the upcoming months:
- TAXES. This is the first time I’m having to get all of my finances together. In years past I’ve only had to turn in W-2s or 1099s. Now I’m having to go through and get together all my expenses, income, etc. to send off. Luckily my family has a wonderful tax accountant that I get to use. I love being an adult…
- Next week I have the privilege of going to the monthly AIM meeting. It is the local Autism support group. They’ve invited me to speak about music therapy and autism as well as my business. I’ve also been invited to the AIM 5K run/walk in April.
- Last week I had a call from a mom in the area interested in music therapy not only for her child but possibly in a local school district. So, I may be scheduling a meeting with the special education task force of the school to possibly get a contract!
- There is a possibility that I could present about music therapy to a class or two at Farmington High. I talked to one of my high school teachers at the beginning of the school year, and he seemed interested in having me come present about music therapy to a couple of his classes.
Well, I believe that’s about all I have for now. Thank you all for your support, prayers, and good thoughts. I’m looking forward to what’s in store this year for MTNWA! Feel free to drop me a line, ask any questions, or share any information with people who are interested in music therapy!
After a very busy summer, I am finally really into the swing of things! I now have time to work at the office, make PR visits, talk to potential clients, and all that fun stuff.
We had the grand opening for Cardinal Care Center (where the MTNWA office is located) on August 2nd. It was a chance for people from the community to come support us, check out the office space, have any questions answered, and eat some delicious treats with us! It was a great success. The Chamber of Commerce came out for the ribbon cutting to the office, we got our picture in the local paper, even the Cardinals mascot came out!
Now that I am done with all of my summer travelings (which consisted of camp in south Arkansas, mission trip in Philadelphia, and family vacation/moving my sister to LA…all of which I drove to, no flying!), I can really focus on getting things set up for MTNWA. This week I’ve been in contact with two different nursing homes in the area. One has signed a contract for me to come once a month for a group session! I meet with the other nursing home on Friday and will hopefully be able to set up something with them as well! I’ve also dropped off information at a local clinic and some of the schools in the area. I’m slowly but surely becoming a PR guru!
I’m excited to think about the possibilities for MTNWA and the Cardinal Care Clinic. I know this year is going to be full of ups and downs. All I can do is work my little tail off, pray constantly, and be patient!
And now I leave you with some pics from the grand opening and of the office!
The time has finally come! The grand opening for Cardinal Care Center and MTNWA is here!
Our open house is Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 from 11am–1pm. It gives the community a chance to check out the facility, meet all of the staff, and have some delicious treats!
Here are a few pics of the office!
I’m excited to get the rest of the office put together and meet some community members tomorrow! More pics will be up soon!